Happy New Year! It’s three days into 2018 and I’m already reflecting on my 2017 food resolutions – where I fell short and where I’m headed. I have to change my mindset and my habits in many ways this year, mainly because I’ll be welcoming a new addition to the family. I won’t be able to enjoy those spontaneous food outings I’ve grown accustomed to these past few years.
Much like previous years, I’ve found myself making meals at home rather than going out in 2017 – though I did have some noteworthy food experiences (The Crack Shack anyone?). Also, there were plenty of foods I needed to avoid the last 6 months of the calendar year when I found out I was expecting – there are so many food rules you have to follow (no under-cooked eggs or meat, raw fish, soft cheeses, deli meats.. the list of foods to avoid is endless!)
Last year’s resolutions and the results:
- Blog More – I did write more, but still not enough! This is something I’m definitely remedying n 2018, especially with my new look and feel!
- Cook (Even) More – This resolution was so easy for me, especially with the Instant Pot and with the addition of many new cookbooks to our collection. I got a new Tommy Bahama cookbook and also added the new “Ready or Not!” cookbook by Nom Nom Paleo. I really enjoyed figuring out ways to make flavorful meals that didn’t take very long to make.
- Try One New Restaurant a Month – I definitely stuck to this resolution last year and tried more than 12 restaurants for sure! The running list of notable places I visited include:
- Tacklebox (Corona Del Mar, also on my Top Chef list!)
- Jimmy’s Famous American Tavern (Brea)
- Water Grill (Costa Mesa)
- The Sandwich Society (Santa Ana)
- Cava (Irvine)
- The Wall (Orange)
- Mix Mix Kitchen Bar (Santa Ana)
- CUCINA Enoteca (Newport Beach)
- Firestone Walker Brewery & Restaurant (Paso Robles)
- Social (Costa Mesa)
- Falasophy (Santa Ana)
- Xi’An Famous Foods (NYC)
- Batard (NYC)
- Two Birds Chicken (Irvine)
- 101 Noodle Express (Irvine)
- Ironwood (Laguna Hills)
- Burnt Crumbs (Irvine)
- Musubi Monster (Orange)
- Goc Ha Noi (Garden Grove)
- MFK by Aysee (Anaheim)
- The Dim Sum Co. (Westminster)
- Vox Kitchen (Fountain Valley)
- Mama Tieu’s (Garden Grove)
- Juniper & Ivy (San Diego)
- The Crack Shack (Costa Mesa)
- Vaca (Costa Mesa)
- American Grub (Tustin)
- Shop the Farmer’s Markets – I did not stick to this resolution at all. I had every intention to support local and make it a habit to get out of my usual habits but I never really got the opportunity to explore the different farmer’s markets around town.
- Improve my Food Photography – I’ve upped my game in many aspects but I still feel like I could improve – not just on the blog but also on the Instagram account.
So where does this leave me? I’m not making any 2018 food resolutions, but rather, I am going to focus on balancing my love of exploring new restaurants and experiences to share on this blog, but also being mindful of the life changes happening in my life. I get overly ambitious with what I want to accomplish when it comes to my foodventures, so I’m going to take baby steps this year and make sure that I’m producing quality posts and highlight the amazing food culture happening in Orange County!
Look forward to seeing you out there!